Monday, August 13, 2012

Summer Colds are the Worst!

So, I noticed the other evening that my throat was a bit scratchy. I shrugged it off and decided to not worry about it. The one thing that has held true while I have been more active and eating better is that I tend to not be sick as often or as long. Well, I woke up yesterday with a bit of head congestion, but a lot of sneezing. That sneezing with that tingle that you just know is going to be something more than just a few sneezes. Last night was miserable. I think I slept about 2 minutes the whole night. I told my husband that I was going to skip the run, but get out for a walk this morning - I know that my experience has been that activity helps me fight the cold quicker. After only sleeping what felt like two minutes, my alarm was going off and I decided to choose sleep over walking for getting better. As I sit here, my nose is still congested and I hate that feeling of I can't really breath. My lips are already becoming chapped from breathing through my mouth continuously.

The other challenge I face with a cold is that food loses flavor. I eat for the flavor and texture experience. Without it, I have to watch that I don't start to pick, looking for something, anything that I can taste. I am going to rely on fluids to help flush this cold out of me. Gatorade is a favorite illness fighting beverage at my house, but in the interest of calories, I will have to alternate it with good old-fashioned water and hot tea.

Sunday was a good eating day and the scale was kind enough to show slight movement (0.2#) in the right direction. It's not much, but every ounce counts on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment