Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sprints!

When I headed up to the track this morning, it was on the edge of dark. This is going to be a challenge. I am going to have to find someone that I can meet at the track each day or I am going to simply run out of 'morning' time to run before work. I may have to return to running in the neighborhood if I want to still run. At least in the neighborhood there is random traffic, street lights, people walking dogs, getting their paper, etc. So, even if it is a bit pre-dawn out with only a glimmer of pink on the horizon, it seems less so.

I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do at the track today. Yesterday, I pushed myself to run the whole time and was able to get in 6 straight laps of running. Today, I started with a walk, not to mention my journey up was slower than normal. Part way around, I decided that I would match yesterday's run with sprint intervals. So, I wound up walking 1/2, doing 6 laps of sprint intervals, running 1/2 lap. I wound up doing 1/4 mile more in distance, but since I started the sprints in the middle of a lap, I didn't have a choice if I wanted to meet my goal. Here is my run chart:
You can't tell on this one, but when I run my mouse along the path in Runkeeper at the dips (the peak of my sprint) there were several where my pace was about a 6:35 minute mile and even one that went down to 6:27 minute mile. Awesome! When I just run, I tend to be between a 9:20 and 10:30 minute mile. The interesting thing is that overall, my pace is very similar, whether running the whole time or doing sprint intervals the whole time. My walking recovery between each sprint leg drags me down just the right amount to match a run.

The workout felt great.

I did okay with eating yesterday, until we went to my daughter's kindergarten picnic. There was pepperoni pizza and then there were ice cream sundaes. I couldn't help myself. I would like to say that I will be more focused today, but it is my son's birthday and he wants to go out for dinner. I will have to be conscientious and make sure that I make good decisions. Enjoy being out but make wise choices.

The scale simply chose not to respond yesterday. I keep thinking, if I had skipped the second piece of pizza or the sundae, it would have been a move in the right direction. I still am trying to recover back to the low.

No comments:

Post a Comment