Saturday, January 5, 2013

By the Light of the Fridge...

Sort of sounds like a late night eating binge story, but in reality it is the story of my Friday morning workout. I headed to the Y and was there in plenty of time to sign up for the classes that I will take and to head to Spinning. I got there and there were about 8 people standing in the lobby. The rest of the building seemed to be dark. Turns out that they had lights in the bathrooms, the lobby and a small lobby upstairs. Everything else - the pool, the fitness center, the fieldhouse, the Spinning room, the main hallways - was dark.

After standing there for a while, the Spinning instructor reminded them that we did the class on Wednesday without lights in the room and asked if the bikes could be moved out into the hallway or somewhere that had some light so that the class could go on. We all used our phones as flashlights and proceeded upstairs. Someone opened the door of the fridge to provide some light in the Spinning room. The instructor said that is enough light and proceeded to adjust the temperature, so that it wouldn't run too much. We set up our bikes and proceeded to work out. When we were about 35 minutes into the 45 minute class, the lights came back on. We had a late start, so hence a late finish, but I was glad that I didn't give up and leave before they decided to hold class in the dark. It felt great and I did a better job of staying out of the saddle for longer periods with the rest of the class. I followed up the workout with a 1/4 mile cool down walk.

Speaking of class, I decided to sign up for two Spinning and one Zumba class. I figure the other two days I can do some walking/running and some swimming. I could also use those as the days that I use the weights in the fitness center to do some more toning. The session is only like 8 weeks long, so I can always bump to four or five days of formalized class if I think it will be a better fit for me.

Eating was not so wonderful yesterday. I did great until mid-afternoon. I was in a meeting and the meeting lead brought along a Chex mix - with Bugles and Fritos in it. Well, I thought I would only have a couple, but I found myself periodically picking. That part wasn't so bad, but when the meeting was over, that salty taste in my mouth had me wanting something sweet. Conveniently, there were still some Christmas cookies and candies set out by others, that I picked at.

I am on the right path. I am being active and being more conscientious about the food decisions that I am making. I am still tempted and still lack full control to stop at one taste of a treat, but I am making the right choices 90% of the time and that will go a long way to helping me reach my goals of being healthier and more fit (and lose some weight along the way).

No comments:

Post a Comment