Monday, January 14, 2013

A long way in a short time, or nowhere at all?

Wow! Just came home from my 6th spinning class. I have officially completed two weeks worth of spinning class. I will say that I am really enjoying it. Each workout is just enough different, that I don't feel like I am getting bored or that I can anticipate what will come next. The instructor for the class is great. I am even to the point, outside of maybe when she does seat touches, that I am actually keeping up and doing what everyone else is doing. Not even two weeks ago when I took my first class, I was always pushing myself to stay in Position 2 or 3 for just 20 more seconds and then it was I have to stay for at least 30 seconds and can't sit for more than 20 seconds before rejoining the correct position. Now, when we are up, I am up. The seat touches are the only hard thing for me. I can't get the rhythm down. When she does jumps and we are up for 2 or 4 or 6, I am okay, but with touches I just get out of sync and my muscles aren't sure what to do. But, that aside, I am very proud of myself for trying something new and catching on (okay, I know - it is biking and I have been riding a bike for more than a few years).

Today's class was intense. I don't know the true absolute accuracy of the equipment gauges, but I went almost a mile further and burned 20% more calories on the gauge. So, on a relative scale, it was more intense. I could feel it too. I was sweating more and my legs were a little more like rubber bands when we were done. It is a good thing that I always do a 1/4 mile cool down, otherwise, I'm not convinced that I could go directly from class to descending the stairs.

Taking morning classes has turned out to be a very good thing for me. It certainly is keeping me motivated to get up on time and to get out the door. I am glad that the local Y is finally open and that I am taking advantage of the facility.

Eating...well, I'm not really sure what to say. I feel like I am eating pretty well. I do find myself struggling when I cook meals that are combinations rather than components. It is easy to measure out a chicken breast and green beans but measuring a stuffed pepper or a cheesy chicken pasta serving is a challenge - sure I can measure one cup or measure 100g, but approximating how many servings there are or what their size is is the challenge.

The odd thing is that the scale is going NOWHERE!!! I am going to try to be even more diligent this week in truly measuring and calculating. I am going to try to 'sum' up the weight of the components in a recipe so that I can figure out how much total weight there would be so that I can measure out a serving and have perspective.

I know that body can take a couple of days to adjust to a change in work out routine and will hold those 'reserves' during that window, but usually that is a few days not over a week.

Oh well, the important thing is that I keep on monitoring my intake and focus on activity...in time, it will all workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment