Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Another Cold Beginning

As I was hanging out this morning, allowing myself to wake up and get ready for my run, I was reading my friend's running blog. She had shared about how she completed her first 10 mile run. I paused and thought about that - at a rate of 10 - 11 minutes per mile, that is 100 - 110 minutes or just under 2 hours. I am not sure when I would find the time to do that length of a run. I am glad that I can fit in a couple of miles of run/walk each day, but I am not sure how I would ever fit in much more. Sure, when the sun comes up earlier or when the indoor track reopens in the morning, I can get back to doing 4 to 5 miles round trip. But, where would I find 2 hours. Perhaps on a weekend, or on a day off. I guess I will have to be content in the time that I have and be glad that I am that much more active than I used to be and in that much better overall health.

The other thing that struck me was that she complained about how hot and humid it was on her ten mile run. I guess this caught my attention because as I walked out the door, it was 43F. I think I prefer the cool to the hot, thank you very much.

Either I am just getting faster with continued effort or the cold really makes me move. Today, I fit in 6 laps at the track. I started out running and after a couple of laps, the cold air was tough on my lungs. I switched back to walking, although, I only did 1/4 of a lap before returning to running. I wound up running a lap, walking 1/4, running 1 1/4, walking 1/4 and finishing with a lap of running. I knew that I could handle the cold air for short periods and figured it was better to keep on running. I know that with time, my lungs will adapt to the cooler air and I will be able to go further. The best part was that my average pace for the total outing was 11:15. When you consider that I walk up and walked some at the track and walk part way home, that is a pretty good pace.

Eating was pretty good yesterday. There were some caramels sitting around at work and well, I can't resist a soft, buttery caramel that melts in your mouth - unfortunately, I think I had like 4 or 5 of them. Hopefully, they are all gone and won't tempt me again today. Today should be good for eating - not much to stand in the way, plus I have fresh tomatoes that I am taking for a sandwich today. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment