Wednesday, May 30, 2012

the second day...

I guess actually, since it is only 6 am, that this post really is more so about day one, but as the start of day 2 it felt more like the right title.

So, day one....

After sharing about my goals and my off pace, but a start, walk, I realized that the other goal that I have in mind is to go from 'couch to 5K' by fall. Now, there are plenty of formal programs out there, and if I find I am struggling, I will look one up, but last year when I started walking and decided that if my friend could run then so could I, I found a way to slowly increase my endurance and the distance I could run. I wasn't quite to a full 5K, but I got close - I think that if I really wanted to, I could have done it. I think some of my coworkers run 5Ks, so I will have to reach out and find one to sign up for with them.

I signed up for Spark People yesterday. I also downloaded their app to my phone - let's be honest, if it's not convenient, then I am less likely to stick with it. For the most part, it seems easy enough. I entered in my current weight, my goal weight and the date that I want to be there. It provided for me a daily intake target, as well as a weekly burn target. I am able to enter my workouts - although, it doesn't 'agree' with RunKeeper in calories burnt. I am able to search for and enter food. If a food is missing, then I can add one. The foods seem to be a mix of items in the system and those entered by other users. This made adding something as simple as grapes rather difficult. There were too many options and wasn't really sure which were system and which were user. I went on the theory of system first, users second. The cover page on the app allows you to see where you are on your daily tracker.

Eating was reasonably okay. I was near, but not at the top end of the target. I had Sushi out for dinner and I'm not sure how good the estimates were...I couldn't find the exact types of rolls and I tried to search on line, but everyone has a different definition of a roll. One site, estimates that the average maki roll is 34 calories per piece. I had 6 pieces per roll, so since most of them were at or above 180, I figured that was a good guess. I felt hungry mid-morning, so I added a quick light snack. The scale didn't budge even .2#, but it was only day one. If after a few days, I'm not seeing movement, I will have to make sure to be closer to the low end of the daily range of calorie intake.

I chatted with a friend yesterday about getting back into a walk/run routine and we said that we would start meeting at the track again. She wasn't there this morning, but two friendly ladies showed up shortly after me. It's always nice to have company, even if you don't talk to one another. I fit in a 3 mile walk/run at the track (plus, about .6 miles each way to/from the track). I ran 5 laps, okay more like 4 3/4 laps. Still, for the first time that I am working the run back in, I feel good about running for just over one mile of the 3 miles. My pattern today was to run every other lap, although I didn't start until lap 3. It felt really good to get in that type of a workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment